Orange Cake 1
This recipe from The Cooks Companion by Stephanie Alexander is one of my favourites. It makes a wonderful centrepiece for a morning or afternoon tea.
Best of all its super easy, all made in the food processor.
1 large orange
125g unsalted butter, softened
3⁄4 cup castor sugar
225g self-raising flour
- Preheat oven to 190 degree C and butter/grease/line a ring tin.
- Zest (grated fine peel) and juice orange.
- Combine all cake ingredients in a food processor and blend for 2 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into prepared tin and bake for 30-35mins. Cool for 5 mins in tin before turning out onto a wire rack. Cool completely before icing.
2 cups icing sugar
1 tps melted butter
1 tbs fresh orange
1 tbs Grand Marnier or citrus liqueur
1 tbs of orange zest/grated peel
- Beat all icing ingredients except zest until quite smooth, and then add zest.
- Warm icing over hot water to thin a little and then spread over cake.
Orange Fairy cakes: small cakes using this orange cake recipe will take 10-15mins to cook in either paper cases or muffin trays.
Orange Cake 2
This recipe is adapted from a recipe found in the AWW Cooking School book "Lemon Syrup Cake".....It is just as good made with oranges.
125 g Butter
3 t finely grated orange rind
2/3 cup (150g) castor sugar
2/3 cup (160mls) buttermilk... can be made by adding 1 T lemon juice to this qty of milk
2 T orange Juice
1 1/2 cups self raising flour
1/3 cup (80 ml) orange Juice
1/4 cup (60 ml) water
3/4 cup (165g) castor sugar
1. preheat oven to 180 C/160 C fan forced. grease 23cm baba tin or line a 20 cm square tin or 22cm round tin.
2. Beat butter rind and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time.
3. Fold in buttermilk and orange juice alternately with the sifted flour in two batches.
4. Spread mixture into pan and bake about 30mins for a baba pan and 40 mins for a square or round tin
5.Cool for 5 mins on a wire rack set over a tray.
6 Meanwhile make up orange syrup. Pour hot syrup over hot cake.
Orange Syrup.... Stir ingredients in a small saucepan over heat without boiling until sugar dissolves, simmer, uncovered, without stirring 5 mins.